A synagogue for the Jewish community is a sacred place where Jews gather for communal prayer, the study of religious texts, and discussions of important community matters. The earliest mentions of the Main, or Great Synagogue of Vinnytsia date back to 1731.
The renowned architect and researcher Oleksandr Biryulia, in his work Architectural History of Vinnytsia, described this building as one of the most interesting structures in Yerusalymka:
“A wooden building with later brick extensions on one side, while its main part dates back to the 18th century. The two-story structure, now covered with metal roofing, was once undoubtedly roofed with tiles; the lower floor is made of brick, while the upper level has a wooden frame with timber partitions, later faced with brick. The walls are plastered with almost no ornamentation. An old stone wall with brick pillars surrounds the building on one side.”
During the Soviet period, in 1924, the Great Choral Synagogue in Yerusalymka, Vinnytsia, had six spacious rooms and could accommodate up to 1,000 people. The building is mentioned in a number of documents from the early 1930s, but in the following years the synagogue was destroyed.